Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Tuesday, January 24: Exodus 9-11; Matthew 15:21-39 ~ Jody

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is: Exodus 9-11; Matthew 15:21-39

The last paragraph of the OT Testament reading spoke to my heart today. "Israel's Wilderness Detour".

17 When Pharaoh finally let the people go, God did not lead them along the main road that runs through Philistine territory, even though that was the shortest route to the Promised Land. God said, “If the people are faced with a battle, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.” 18 So God led them in a roundabout way through the wilderness toward the Red Sea.[f] Thus the Israelites left Egypt like an army ready for battle.[g]

We've just finished reading about how long and difficult it has been for the Israelites to get released from Egypt. I can imagine going into each plague they thought "Ok, now Pharaoh will HAVE to let us go!" and then nope, not yet. So finally, after the 10th plague they are released. It would be at this time in my own life struggles that I would feel like it's time for easy street. I deserve a smooth path now after all I've endured to get free of this bondage. But how often God has other plans that we don't see and understand!

As we read in verse 18 above, God led them in a roundabout way. BUT, not to be mean, or spiteful - or even to teach them a lesson. He knew that maybe the roundabout way was a longer journey, but that it would actually be the easier journey for them. Their heavenly Father chose the path that would enable them the highest chance of successful freedom! He knew how weak their minds were and that if they had to battle the Philistines, there was a high likelihood of them turning back to Egypt and picking the lesser of two evils.

Father God, help me to persevere in difficult times. When it feels like wave after wave of struggle, give me full and complete trust that You see what is ahead on each road and like any loving Father, will always direct me to what is best for me. Thank you for the "Wilderness Detours" in my life that have turned out to be the most glorious adventure of dependance on you. Amen.


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year PassageExodus 12-13; Matthew 16

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Exodus 9:29
“All right,” Moses replied. “As soon as I leave the city, I will lift my hands and pray to the Lord. Then the thunder and hail will stop, and you will know that the earth belongs to the Lord.

How stubborn Pharaoh was to keep making the Israelites stay, even when his own people and land were left totally devastated. How often am I stubborn? I pray for wisdom to see my errors earlier, and ask for forgiveness and change.

Tammy said...

In the NT portion, the feeding of the 4,000 Greeks is a reminder that Jesus is the bread of life both for the Jew (feeding of the 5,000) and for the Greek - His grace is for everyone!