Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Wednesday, February 15th: Leviticus 17-18, Matthew 27: 27-50 ~ Nathan

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Leviticus 17-18, Matthew 27: 27-50

Leviticus 18: 3-5
You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. [4] You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the Lord your God. [5] Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the Lord.


These verses tell the Israelites how to live, but can also be a guide for us. We are not to live as those unsaved around us, but must follow the Lord.

Often we get caught up and live like those around us who aren't saved, and make the same lifestyle choices. This is a reminder for us to live differently, and make lifestyle choices that God would want us to.

Matthew 27: 30-31
They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again. [31] After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him.


We've all heard this story many times, but can learn something new from it by reading it again. I am reminded here of the personal pain and humiliation that Jesus went through, for me. He loves me so much that He was willing to go through this all so that I would hopefully give myself to Him. A debt I could never repay. A reminder to do my best for Him all the time, and commit myself to Him.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Leviticus 19-20; Matthew 27:51-66

3 comments:

Conrad said...

For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life. - Leviticus 17:11

It was the blood that Jesus shed that opens the door for our sins to be forgiven.

How timely in that the NT reading of Jesus being crucified falls around Valentine's Day. There is always a lot of talk of what true love is, and Jesus lived out that answer until His final breath.

kjad said...

It's hard for me to read all the verbal and physical pain Jesus chose to go through. What's even crazier for me to understand is that even if Jesus had only one person on this earth that needed to be saved, he would still go through every pain he experienced when he died for the sins of the whole world. There really is no greater love.

Tammy said...

It's definitely hard to read what Jesus went through and to know that it is what I deserve, not Him. Oh how deep the love of God!