Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Tuesday, April 11: 1 Samuel 17-18; Luke 11:1-28 ~ Jody

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is: 1 Samuel 17-18; Luke 11:1-28

One of my favourite things about being part of this blog is looking deeper into some of the more well-known stories. Having grown up in Sunday School and church my entire life, I've heard the David and Goliath story many, many times and feel like I "know" the lesson in the story. However - there is always more to learn and this type of thinking is so dangerous! I appreciate the challenge and opportunity to learn from everyone else and to also seek new revelations on my own posting day as well!

On that note, I noticed something today that I had never noticed before. When David was first asking about Goliath and trying to understand what they were afraid of, his eldest brother Eliab started challenging and accusing him. 1 Samuel 17:28-30

 28 Now Eliab his eldest brother heard when he spoke to the men. And Eliab's anger was kindled against David, and he said, “Why have you come down? And with whom have you left those few sheep in the wilderness? I know your presumption and the evil of your heart, for you have come down to see the battle.”29 And David said, “What have I done now? Was it not but a word?” 30 And he turned away from him toward another, and spoke in the same way, and the people answered him again as before.

David's just been harshly accused by Eliab, but he knows his own heart and pays no mind to Eliab. I appreciate that David is so confident in God in him that he pays no attention at all to Eliab's human judgement. May I be confident in who I am in God and rely on Him to define who I am!

And I actually don't ever remember reading the story of David marrying Saul's daughter Michal before! Fascinating how Saul tried to set him up battling Philistines and through that realized that God was with David.


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage1 Samuel 19-21; Luke 11:29-54

2 comments:

Nathan said...

1 Samuel 17:48
When the Philistine arose and came and drew near to meet David, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet the Philistine.

David was confident and knew that God was with him and would help him, he ran into this battle. How often don't we nervously enter into something, even though we know God is with us? Are we confident and willing to run into something God wants us to do, or rather to walk nervously toward it?

Tammy said...

Great point Jody! May we also be secure in our identity as followers of Christ to pay no mind to the insults of those around us.